The Luxembourg apartment rental market
Due to the significant population growth, there is a high demand for rental apartments. Average rental prices (1) in Luxembourg vary depending on the property type.
Average rental prices by property type in Luxembourg city
Be proactive when looking for an apartment to rent in Luxembourg
The Luxembourg apartment rental market is highly competitive. The most attractive rentals are snapped up in just a few days. So be proactive!
In Luxembourg, landlords ask prospective renters for:
- A rental application
- A rental guarantee (deposit) – this generally corresponds to two or three months’ rent
If you go through an agency, the amount of the agency fees (usually one month’s rent plus 17% VAT).
Tip: BGL BNP Paribas can provide you with the amount of the rental guarantee in a blocked account!
When moving to a new country, it’s not always possible to pay several months’ rent in advance. Nor to put so much trust in a landlord you’ve never met.
To set your mind at ease and help you be proactive in your search, we can provide the deposit requested by the landlord. You will be able to pay the deposit into a BGL BNP Paribas escrow account. This solution means you don’t have to pay out the deposit amount unless it is ultimately called in, protecting you from potential fraud when the lease is signed ! Setup can be done remotely and takes just a few days(3)(4).
Are you under 30? In this case, we can even advance the rental guarantee without a guarantee from you, meaning you can spend this money on getting settled! (3)(5).
Transport, an important factor when choosing an apartment to rent in Luxembourg
Luxembourg is no stranger to peak hour traffic. Beware of envisioning your commute in kilometres. Travel times may be longer due to traffic jams. Luxembourg City has an efficient public transport network. Trams, buses, trains and funiculars are all possible solutions for getting around the city.
Some neighbourhoods are located near important transport hubs, which makes getting around easier.
Keep this in mind when choosing where to live.
Good to know
By 2020, all public transport in Luxembourg will be free! Work is also underway to extend the tram line. Why not use this opportunity to start taking greener forms of transport?
Useful resources for newcomers to Luxembourg
Mobiliteit shows you all the possible public transport routes to get you from A to B. Great for finding out if the apartment you want to rent is well-positioned! There is also a mobile app version.
Work to extend the tram line is underway. Luxtram has everything you need to know about the plan to extend the tram line.
With news, events, lifestyle articles, administrative advice and more, the Luxembourg City website is a good source of information for expatriates.
(1) According to Observatoire de l'habitat figures
(2) According to the website Furnished
(3) Offer subject to Bank approval of your application.
(4) The rental guarantee service is a paid service.
(5) See terms and conditions at your local branch. Our advisors are also available to help you on (+352) 42 42-2000, Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
Frequently asked question
Your application should contain:
- proof of the identity of the applicant(s) (identity card or passport);
- proof of income (payslips or employment contract, tax notice, etc.);
- bank account details for the account that rental payments will be made from.
To open a BGL BNP Paribas current account online, you’ll need to fulfil at least one of these conditions:
- be a resident of Luxembourg;
- have an employment contract in Luxembourg (fixed-term, permanent, internship, etc.);
- be a student in Luxembourg;
- be eligible for a CEDIES loan, a study grant paid by the Luxembourg government when at least one of the parents works in Luxembourg;
- earn an income in Luxembourg, e.g. retirement pension, even if you’re not a Luxembourg resident;
- collect rent in Luxembourg.
You can open an account online in just a few clicks. You’ll simply need to:
- Complete your application online;
- provide your supporting documents.
Your online account will be opened in just a few days !
If you visit Luxembourg before the big move, why not make an appointment at a branch to complete the steps?