With a smartwatch, you can track your physical activity, use mobile apps and even make phone calls. And you can also make contactless payments.
Garmin and Fitbit smartwatches offer free NFC payment services that can be linked to your BGL BNP Paribas credit card.
Good to know
Do you want to make payments with your Apple Watch?
Learn how to use Apple Pay!
Why use a smartwatch to make contactless payments?
Paying without a card, using a Fitbit or Garmin smartwatch, has several benefits.
- You can pay pay with your smartwatch anytime, anywhere.
- You don’t even need to be carrying a wallet or smartphone to pay for in-store purchases.
Simple and fast
- To pay with your smartwatch, all you have to do is hold your watch near the payment terminal. You don’t need to enter your PIN for each transaction. You don’t even need an internet connection.
- You can make payments in any store that accepts contactless payment, both in Luxembourg and abroad. Eligible businesses have this logo displayed on the payment terminal.
- With contactless payment from your smartwatch, you have access to the same settings and benefits as with your physical BGL BNP Paribas credit card: transaction limits, insurance, purchase protection and fraud protection.
- Transaction data is neither stored nor shared: confidentiality is guaranteed.
- You will have to enter your smartwatch PIN when you make a payment over 24 hours after the last payment, as well as when you put the watch on or take it off.
How to activate contactless payment on your smartwatch
Activating payments on your Garmin or Fitbit smartwatch is very easy, using your smartphone or tablet:
- Download the “Fitbit” or “Garmin Connect” mobile app from Google Play or the Apple Store on your smartphone or tablet
- Open the app and create an account linked to your smartwatch
- Add your BGL BNP Paribas Visa and/or Mastercard credit card(s) to your electronic wallet
- Choose your account verification method in the app: text message or e-mail
- Now you’re ready to use your smartwatch for all contactless payments!
Frequently asked questions
Contactless payment via smartwatch is available for:
- Fitbit Versa 2, Versa Special Edition, Ionic and Charge 3 Special Edition watches;
- These Garmin watches.
You will need:
- A compatible Fitbit or Garmin watch
- A relatively new tablet or smartwatch that is compatible with a recent version of iOS or Android
- Your active BGL BNP Paribas credit card
- A current mobile phone number or e-mail address in your bank account information
Fitbit and Garmin Pay are free contactless payment services for paying for your in-store purchases.
The limit for payments with your smartwatch is the same as the current limit on your débit card or on your BGL BNP Paribas credit card.
To see your most recent transactions, go to the “Wallet” menu in your Fitbit or Garmin Connect app.
You will be able to see the last three payments made with your smartwatch. You can also go to your BGL BNP Paribas Web Banking to access all of your transactions.