Our current Private Lease Green offer !
Thanks to Private Lease Green, start driving an eco-friendly hybrid or electric vehicle, with no hassle and a fixed monthly budget.
Greener vehicle options
An eco-friendly car is one that doesn’t run on conventional fossil fuels. Nowadays, these are often vehicles with one or more electric motors, sometimes paired with a fuel combustion engine.
There are several different kinds of electric car on the market, all of which are eco-friendly:
- hybrid cars that charge as you drive them, and that use conventional fuel for long trips
- plug-in hybrids that must be charged with a cable, but that can also use fuel for long trips
- fully electric cars that can only be charged with a cable.
Who are electric cars right for?
Whether hybrid or fully electric, eco-friendly cars are best for people in urban areas who want to protect the environment. They are ideal for those travelling shorter distances, who live near multiple charging stations.
Drivers of eco-friendly cars who live in the city travel shorter distances on a regular basis. Today’s electric cars can go between 200 km and 500 km on a charge. That means most city drivers can wait several days before charging the vehicle. However, the real travelling distance also depends on other driving habits.
Charging an electric car
With the exception of hybrid cars, electric vehicles can only charge at a charging station. You will have to plug your car into a special unit, or even a home electrical outlet if the vehicle allows.
Charging times vary depending on the charging station. Electrical outlets are the slowest. There are three options for charging your vehicle:
- at home from an outlet or a specially installed charging unit
- at work
- at one of the 800 public charging stations available in Luxembourg by 2020.
When you choose the first option, your electric company will charge you for the electricity you consume. The second one will depend on the system your employer has in place. They may choose provide free electricity. For the third option, you’ll need a prepaid card to use charging stations.
Good to know
Because each station is equipped with two charging points, the network will ultimately provide 1,600 electromobility parking spots in all.
Every municipality in the country will have at least one charging station (to date, you can find Chargy in 90 municipalities).
Financing the purchase of an eco-friendly car
Different electric cars come with different price tags. However, they are usually more expensive than conventional cars. Fortunately, you may be eligible for a government subsidy:
- €8,000 before tax for 100% electric cars or vans
- €2,500 before tax for plug-in hybrid motor cars or vans with CO2 emissions under 50 g/km (WLPT standard)
- 25% of the purchase price before tax for quadricycles, small motorbikes (125 cc) or mopeds.
The Ministry of the Environment recently announced that the availability of these subsidies has been extended until 31 December 2020. Electromobility is an integral part of the government’s plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 55% of 2005 levels before 2030.
BGL BNP Paribas offers two financing solutions so you can get your own eco-friendly vehicle:
Good to know
Applications for a subsidy can be submitted up to seven months before the vehicle is registered in the name of the applicant.
At the latest, they can be submitted two years after registration. Applications should be sent to the Environment Agency by filling out the online form on guichet.public.lu.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. When you negotiate your private lease you can select the vehicle of your choice from any make (with the exception of Renault).
Private leases for electric or hybrid vehicles include the same benefits as for conventional ones: servicing, maintenance, insurance, 24-hour breakdown assistance, replacement vehicle, etc.
(1) For a loan of EUR 15,000 repayable over 48 months at a fixed interest rate of 1.81% per annum, you would pay 48 instalments of EUR 324.05 (excluding optional insurance). No application fees. APR Fixed annual percentage rate: 1.85% per annum (subject to paying your salary into an “Essentiel” account held with our bank). Total amount owed by the borrower: EUR 15,554.4.
The hypothetical example is provided for information purposes only and cannot be considered a loan offer and/or approval. The bank is not liable for this example or for any decisions made based on this example.
Offer subject to terms and conditions and approval of your application by the bank.
(2) Two or four-wheel vehicle with an electric or hybrid engine.
(3) Clients should provide a quote/invoice as evidence of their eco-friendly investment when the offer is finalised by their branch.
(4) Offer subject to conditions and approval of your application by BGL BNP Paribas and Arval Luxembourg S.A.; exclusive to residents of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Services provided by Arval Luxembourg. Insurance, tyres, material damage cover, taxes and regular servicing included. Fuel not included.