Since 1 January 2019, the supplementary pension scheme has been available to self-employed professionals living in Luxembourg.
Through a life insurance policy, it’s now possible to build up supplementary pension savings while taking advantage of tax benefits.
What is OptiLib?
OptiLib is a pension savings scheme for self-employed professionals and freelancers.
The purpose of OptiLib is to build up retirement savings to supplement the state pension.
The savings accrued are paid as a lump sum on maturity. In addition to the pension component, the scheme also offers a range of additional optional cover (death, disability, accident).
What are the benefits of OptiLib?
- you prepare for retirement: at the end of the policy, the capital will usually be exempt from income tax;
- you enjoy tax benefits by cutting your costs;
- protect your loved ones: in the event of death, any money you’ve invested is passed on to your assigned beneficiaries;
- attractive returns (2.5% gross in 2017) thanks to our General Fund.
Retirement investing for self-employed professionals : how do I sign up?
- you set the amount you’re capable of investing each year in advance;
- you divide the amount invested between life insurance and retirement savings;
- you determine how often you make payments;
- every year, you choose the type of funds you want to invest in, according to your risk profile;
- you define the risks you want to cover: death, invalidity, accident.
Who is eligible for an OptiLib policy?
OptiLib is designed for self-employed professionals, as well as members of the Luxembourg Chambers of Commerce, Agriculture or Trade.
You must also:
- live in Luxembourg;
- be covered by Luxembourg social security.
Individuals can also obtain tax deductions! Fully protect yourself and your loved ones with other life insurance solutions. They are tax-deductible and also help you lower your tax bill.
One tree planted for every new policy
In co-operation with REFOREST'ACTION, our partner Cardif Lux Vie will plant one tree for every new policy taken out!
By signing up to Optilib, you’ll be contributing to reforestation efforts in the Greater Region.
You can get updates on the Cardif Lux Vie reforestation project on its website.
Looking to take out OptiLib insurance?
Meet with one of our branch advisors to define your personalised investment plan.
Frequently asked questions
Is there a minimum premium to be paid each year?
No, this is defined according to your needs.
How much can I expect to deduct on my tax return?
Subject to 20% withholding tax and a 0.9 % tax on premiums paid, you can deduct amounts invested under an OptiLib policy up to a maximum of 20% of your net annual professional income.
* Tax allowances are granted to Luxembourg residents and to “equivalent” non-residents.
* Subject to certain conditions available at bgl.lu or in your BGL BNP Paribas branch.
* As the tax deductibility of interest on OptiSave+ consumer loans is covered by the same article, the deductible amount cannot exceed EUR 672 (Article 109 LIR).
* Tax deductibility varies based on the personal situation of each client and is subject to change.