1919:Creation of Banque Générale du Luxembourg.
On 29 September 1919, the Société Générale de Belgique, in partnership with Belgian and Luxembourgish associates, founded Banque Générale du Luxembourg, with its head office in Arlon and its central office in Luxembourg. The Bank's shareholders were companies and businessmen from Belgium, France and Luxembourg.
The central office of the Banque Générale du Luxembourg was located at 14, rue Aldringen, in Luxembourg. Before moving to these newly constructed premises, the Bank was temporarily established at 5, rue Genistre.
1928:The Bank extends its business into Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and France.
By the beginning of 1928, Banque Générale du Luxembourg was already a major regional bank with solid foundations in Belgium, France and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The core of the Bank's business activities in France was located at Metz's principal branch, at 7 and 8 place St-Jacques. It was directly responsible for the branches at Thionville, Audun-le-Tiche, Carignan and Hayange.
1935: The head office of Banque Générale moves to Luxembourg.
In 1935, the Société Générale de Belgique decided to make Banque Générale du Luxembourg a Luxembourg-based company. The central office at 14, rue Aldringen, thus also became the head office of the Bank. The Bank's business activities would henceforth be focused around the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
1940-1945:The business activities of Banque Générale du Luxembourg experience a slowdown during the Second World War.
Since the 1960s: Development of the Bank's international activities.
As Luxembourg emerged as an international financial centre after the 1960s, the Banque Générale became involved in international financial transactions, becoming a significant service provider on the international credit and bond markets.
1969:The Bank sets up a trading floor and since the 1970s has played an increasingly large part in the Eurobonds market.
In order to maintain direct contact with its principal markets, the Bank opened branches in Milan, Hong Kong and Frankfurt. In August 1982, it extended its network, establishing Banque Générale du Luxembourg (Suisse) S. A. in Zurich.
1984:The shares of Banque Générale du Luxembourg are listed on the Stock Exchange.
With a view to enlarging its shareholder body and opening its shares up to the market, Banque Générale du Luxembourg applied for listing on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange in 1984. The shares were first listed on 29 November 1984, for the sum of LUF 5,400 (EUR 133.86).
1999:Banque Générale du Luxembourg, commercial deposit and credit institution, investment bank and international financial services company.
As a universal Bank, Banque Générale du Luxembourg offers its Luxembourg customers the services of a commercial bank whilst at the same time establishing a presence as an investment bank and in the international financial services. The Bank continued to diversify and extend its international and domestic business activities.
2000:Banque Générale du Luxembourg and Fortis strengthen their strategic partnership.
In February 2000, Banque Générale du Luxembourg and Fortis, its majority shareholder, announced their intention to strengthen their strategic partnership. Via an exchange offer launched by Fortis on all BGL shares in circulation, the majority shareholder increased its holding to 97.73% of the existing capital of Banque Générale du Luxembourg.
Banque Générale du Luxembourg extended its business across the Grande Région via the acquisition of SADE Group (Société de Développement et d'Expansion) by means of a friendly takeover bid.
2002:Development continues in the Grande Région. Bancassurance: a new gap in the market.
Banque Générale du Luxembourg continued its strategy of commercial development within the Grande Région: Sarre-Lorraine-Luxembourg-Trèves/Palatin Occidental-Alsace; opening of a group Business Centre at Trèves-Sarrebruck.
2005: Banque Générale du Luxembourg becomes Fortis Banque Luxembourg.
Banque Générale du Luxembourg changed its name, now doing business under the name Fortis Banque Luxembourg.
2008:The Luxembourg government becomes a shareholder in the bank, with a stake of 49.9%.
In September 2008, the Luxembourg government invested EUR 2.5 billion in Fortis Banque Luxembourg in the form of a loan compulsorily convertible into shares.
In October 2008, the Belgian and Luxembourg governments decided, in collaboration with an internationally renowned financial partner, BNP Paribas, to consolidate the structures and activities of Fortis in Belgium and Luxembourg.
In December 2008, the Luxembourg government became a shareholder in the Bank to the order of 49.9% via the conversion into shares of the previously granted loan. In anticipation of the alliance with BNP Paribas, Fortis Banque Luxembourg changed its name and began to do business under the name BGL.
2009: BNP Paribas Group becomes the majority shareholder in BGL.
In May 2009, BNP Paribas Group became the majority shareholder in BGL, with a holding of 65.96% of its share capital. The Luxembourg government remained a significant shareholder in the bank, with a holding of 34% of its capital.
Effective 21 September 2009, BGL changed its company name, now doing business under the name BGL BNP Paribas.
2010: BGL BNP Paribas acquires 100% of the share capital of BNP Paribas Luxembourg, with a view to carrying out a merger by absorption.
In February 2010, as part of BNP Paribas Group's business plan for Luxembourg, BGL BNP Paribas acquired 100% of the share capital of BNP Paribas Luxembourg.
After the legal merger of the two entities on 1 October, the transfer of the business activities of BNP Paribas Luxembourg S.A. to the technical and operational platforms of BGL BNP Paribas was finalised over the weekend of 30 October.